Outdoor lighting is crucial in defining the feel and looks of any building at first glance. Commercial buildings, private residences, villas, bungalows, clubs, and hotels can use outdoor lighting to highlight the structures in a practical, decorative, or artistic manner. Properly lit entrances, pathways, gardens can create a striking first impression on your visitors which is certainly desirable. Outdoor lights can be used to accent or highlight some impressive features of the building in the dark. Our attention is attracted by well-lit buildings and structures even when we are randomly passing by a place. Beautifully lit entrances, porches give an inviting feel to the people who are visiting. From a practical viewpoint, you should use lights to illuminate all the entrances and exits of your house for safety reasons. You can also add some wall lanterns to the sides of the house or in the garage for added security.
Some important points need proper understanding when you are deciding how to create the perfect ambiance for your purpose.
- You should have a clear idea about the different sizes, styles, and colors of lights that are available for outdoor lighting. Fluorescent lights, lanterns, twinkle lights, string lights, lamps, floodlights, and LED lights. According to professional LED Light manufacturer,different types of lighting is best suited to create a particular effect. Twinkle lights and string lights can create a magical atmosphere, lamp lights can create a cozy ambiance, etc.
- Floodlights and spotlights are thought to be the same but they are used for different purposes. Floodlights like the name suggests are used to illuminate a larger area as compared to spotlights. It is commonly used to light up the driveway leading up to the main entrance of a house or in the garage. Floodlights light up an entire space equally without drawing our attention to any object or structure. This is exactly what can be achieved by using spotlights. These lights cast a concentrated beam of light that can highlight objects or structures in your home. They are popularly used for architectural accents and up lighting trees or hedges in the garden.
- Before you get carried away by the beautiful outdoor lights available in shops, you should have a budget in mind. It is the first thing that you should decide before you begin deciding how you want your outdoor lighting to look like and the effect that you want to achieve for your house. This is necessary so that you choose the best and cost-effective lights for outdoor lighting within your budget.
- It is important for you to understand the landscape of your house and design accordingly. You can get a variety of innovative ideas and options for outdoor lighting from the Internet. It is certainly a good place for inspiration and to get you started. However, the final design should not be a copy of something seen on the Internet. The simple reason is that what worked for others may not work for you at all. Each building or structure is unique in its own way; therefore the planning should also be different. Also, you will feel a sense of fulfillment when you use your own creativity and create something wonderful for yourself.
- Another factor to remember is that since the lights will remain outdoors, they must be sturdy enough to withstand the elemental forces of nature and the wear and tear of time. Some lights may be decorative but they are not durable. Investing in such short term lights will only lead to unnecessary replacements and costs in the future.
- Ideally, outdoor lighting should have low wattage as they are used for practical or decorative purposes. However, sometimes we need brighter lights in the garden or the porch. Therefore we should select high or low wattage light fixtures depending on how we want to use it. LED light has low wattage and is a popular choice for outdoor lighting. They also require less maintenance and last for much longer periods as compared to other lights. When you have a large outdoor space, it is economically beneficial to make use of LED lights to illuminate the area. Top LED light manufacturer in india,recommend the use of frosted glass for outdoor purposes as they emit more light and are low maintenance.
- An easy option for outdoor lights is solar lights, especially for people living in warmer climates. These lights do not require any elaborate wiring and you can make significant energy cuts that will reflect in your electric bill. Solar lights can be a popular choice for pathway lights and garden lights that can harness solar energy very easily. It is also very environmentally friendly.
- You should try to incorporate a variety of lights for the outdoor space. It may not be the best idea to use the same lights for your driveway, yard, and front porch, as that will get boring very quickly. However, if you use different types of lights, make sure that they complement each other instead of clashing in the given space. You can contrast by using different shapes, styles, and metallic finishes, etc. In this way, the lights will look beautiful even during the daytime when they are not lit.
- You can also try to mix warm and cool lighting to create a contrast and balance in the outdoor space. Making use of cool shades like white or blue colored lights makes an area look bigger than it really is. Afterward, you can use warm shades like yellow or orange lights to create a striking impact by focusing them on some beautiful structure, an object like an artificial waterfall or fountain. It will certainly elevate the landscape to something extraordinary.
A well lit outdoor space with decorative fixtures, like a garden, can be a wonderful place to hang out in the evenings or to entertain friends and guests. It will be a wonderful asset for you and your family. With a little innovation and investment, you can really transform the character of your house with proper outdoor lighting.